Limited edition, no. 42 of 100 (one of the 80 standard copies). Small 4to (20 x 15.5cm), n.p. [pp. 20], three single-page linocut illustrations by McCord. Black cloth, green printed paper label. Printed in purple. Lightly soiled, rubbed at edges and extremities. Text block pulling slightly at stitches. Else, internally clean and bright. A very good copy of a handsome edition.
Comprising ‘The Master,’ ‘The Disciple,’ ‘The House of Judgement,’ ‘The Doer of Good’ and ‘The Artist’, all of which were originally published in the July 1894 issue of The Fortnightly Review (along with ‘The Teacher of Wisdom’). The Crannog Press was a private press based at Sandown Road, Belfast. According to Maggs Bros., it “issued around 14 titles from 1968 to 1978 and was run single-handedly by its founder, the artist and teacher Margaret McCord, who was greatly motivated by her teacher-training spell in Leicester, under the esteemed tutorage of Rigby Graham. McCord initially used an Old treadle-operated Cropper Platen press, then graduated to a Heidelberg Automatic Platen. Having only one set of type, full-page texts were often commercially printed, usually by the Northern Whig Company in Belfast.” (Irish First Editions, Catalogue 1442).
Author WILDE, Oscar; McCORD, Margaret (illustrator & printer)
Publisher [Belfast]: Crannog Press