RIVER AVON The Sluices and Weirs on the River Avon from Stratford to Tewksbury. ms., c. 1630. Large manuscript coloured map on vellum, 740 x 530 mm.
Probably created in the early 17th century to mark the positions of the sluices and weirs prior to improvements to the river. Between 1635 and 1641 pound locks and gates were built around various mills on the river, none of which are shown here, to make it navigable to barges without loss of water from the older flash locks which would have affected the operation of the numerous mills on the river, all of which are marked and illustrated here. This shows 7 weirs and 14 sluices which would have to be improved for river navigation.
Author RIVER AVON