Important Information

The next book fairs are STRATFORD-UPON-AVON (click here) on Sat 30th August, and EDINBURGH (click here) and ABERGAVENNY (click here) both on Sat 6th September.

The July Online Book Fair is open - click
here.

Celebrating 50 years of book fairs 

Book Description

The parish of St John the Evangelist was originally a chapelry created from St. Giles-Camberwell parish; the church was built in 1865 on green fields, called Goose Green. The move of the Crystal Palace to neighbouring Sydenham in 1854 and the ensuing railway connection enabled rapid growth of the South London suburb and the need for churches. W. J. Strickland became the reverend of the church and organized educational and cultural events which are documented here in this collection of ephemeral items. The events advertised for and described in newspaper cuttings are for musical performances with readings of edificatory stories interspersed, ‘Penny Readings’, all introduced by Mr. William J. Noad, the manager of a steamship company who may have been the collector of this collection. All neatly printed on paper of various colours with some printed in colours.
Author[ST. JOHN THE EVANGELIST’S, EAST DULWICH].
Date1875-76.
PublisherLondon, various printers,
ConditionAll 8vo and mostly printed on coloured paper; all mounted on strong folio sheets, together with additional paper cuttings reporting on the events.

Friends of the PBFA

For £10 get free entry to our fairs, updates from the PBFA and more.

Please email info@pbfa.org for more information

Join PBFA

Membership of the PBFA is open to anyone who has been trading in antiquarian and second-hand books for a minimum of two years subject to certain criteria.

Email info@pbfa.org to find out more, or complete the enquiry form.

complete the form