Bridport Book Fair due to take place on 26th October has been cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances. We apologise for any inconvenience.
An Historical and Descriptive account of the Suspension Bridge constructed over the Menai Straight in North Wales, with a brief notice of Conway Bridge. From designs by, and under the direction of Tho
Printed for the author by Ibotson and Palmer, London, 1828, 1st and only edition. Half leather binding with paper covered boards. Seven raised bands to spine. Gilt lettering on red leather patch to compartment two. Elephant folio, 27ins x 20ins (69cm x 51cm), [viii], 105pp text followed by 17 plates. Of the text pages, 1 to 76 refers to the Menai bridge, 77 to 82 to Conway, 83 to 105 comprise 10 appendices and includes one additional plate. This additional plate is an engraving of a resolution sent to Lord Liverpool requesting the passing of a law to allow the building of the Menai Bridge and it contains 59 facsimile signatures. Of the 17 numbered plates, the first is a map, 2,3,4 & 5 are double page fold outs, ie 4 pages per plate in total, 15, 16 & 17 are engravings of views of the bridge (looking towards Beaumauris, Caernarvon and the Castle respectively). The engravings were done by R.G. Reeve from drawings by G. Arnold. The map has some browning, plate 4 is quite heavily foxed to the top and plate 16 shows some foxing. The binding has been restored / rebound at some point in the past (binders label at bottom of rear pastedown). Whilst the leather spine and corners look appropriate the boards are modern. There is wear to the corners suggesting that any rebind was done a while ago. The red leather label is probably original and is scuffed to one edge. Unfortunately, (in my opinion), the restorer has used inappropriately bright white paper for the new pastedowns. That said this is a complete well preserved copy of a scarce work. Nb William Alexander Provis (1792-1870) was engaged as assistant to Thomas Telford in 1814. As Telford was engaged in so many projects the details of the Menai bridge were left to Purvis and he recommended several alterations to the original design. The bridge opened in 1826.
Author Provis, William Alexander
Binding half leather
Publisher Ibotson & Palmer