Regretfully, due to Covid-19, we have decided to cancel our fairs up until the end of December.  However, at this stage, we cannot confirm if our London Christmas Fair will take place but we will keep you updated.
OUR NEXT ONLINE FAIR OPENS ON 29TH OCTOBER AT 12 NOON.
Book Description
Rare programmes for the oldest rowing club in Bristol, relating to its Athletic Festival, "open to all gentlemen amateurs", one however has an insert advertising their Ladies Day.
Dealer Notes
"Founded in 1870, Bristol Ariel Rowing Club is the oldest rowing club in Bristol. The club was named "Ariel" after the barge it first resided on; the boats have always borne the names of characters from Shakespeare's "The Tempest", where Ariel was an imprisoned spirit released by Prospero to stir up the storm at the beginning of the tale.
The club was originally based on a barge near Bristol Bridge, in the city centre, surrounded by aromas from the St. George's Brewery and the less than pleasant odours of the docks. The rowing equipment was somewhat more primitive in those days; until the sliding seat was widely introduced after 1871 the rowers wore tight linen shorts to slide on a greased surface with each stroke.
The barge was a French frigate captured in the Napoleonic wars. It housed all the club's boats and documents and a cockroach infested changing room for rowers. Much was lost when, just as she was due for repairs, the barge sprang a leak and sank; but she was raised, drained and served as clubhouse for another eight years until 1900, when Bristol Ariel Rowing Club moved to St. Anne's and the current clubhouse was built.
Our current rules evolved from those in the ornate rule books published since the club was established. They once specified "no Candidate be eligible who is Mechanic, Artisan or Labourer, or disqualified in any other way from Rowing as a gentleman amateur under the rules of the Amateur Rowing Association", as the amateur rowers of the day did not want to compete against the far more active manual labourers.
Ladies could not join until 1926, and then only as tennis members. Before 1926 they were restricted to making tea and participating in the egg and spoon races at the yearly ladies' days. A lot has changed since then and the club now welcomes everyone."

[Taken from the Club website].
Author [Ephemera]. The Ariel Rowing Club (Bristol)
Date 1875
Binding Loose programmes as issued
Publisher Bristol, Arrowsmith.
Condition Very good.
Pages Three sheets folded

Friends of the PBFA

For £10 get free access to our fairs, updates from the PBFA and much more.

Join PBFA

Membership of the PBFA is open to anyone who has been trading in antiquarian and second-hand books for a minimum of two years subject to certain criteria.
Find Out More