Fine ordnance document signed by Wade and four other officers of Ordnance, ordering the issue of a wide range of equipment for the fitting out of H.M.S. Anglesea '... lately rebuilt at Hull and ordered to be fitted out there for channel service', written in an attractive secretarial hand, 3pp. folio. Meaning of “rebuilt” is not clear, according to some records the HMS Anglesea was built in Hull in 1741 by Hugh Blaydes (not to be confused with the HMS Anglesea of 1694).George Wade was Lieutenant General of the Ordnance from 1742; George Gregory, Storekeeper of the Ordnance; Andrew Wilkinson, Clerk of Deliveries of the Ordnance; William Rawlinson Earle, Clerk of the Ordnance; Thomas Lascelles, Surveyor of the Ordnance. Wade is still remembered for his achievements in road-building and for the creation of forts in the Highlands like Forts George and Augustus. Despite an outstanding military record, his decision to position English troops at Newcastle in 1745 seemed logical. However, the Jacobite troops were still following the brilliant Lord George Murray and after victory on the east coast of Scotland the army besieged Carlisle. Wade was demoted but his military roads and bridges are still admired. Succeeded by the Duke of Cumberland, he isn't admired.
Author Wade, General George
Publisher Manuscript, November 1742
Condition Very good