A DESCRIPTION, ACCOMPANIED BY SIXTEEN COLOURED PLATES, OF THE SPLENDID DECORATIONS RECENTLY MADE TO THE CHURCH OF ST. NEOT, IN CORNWALL.
The present church of St Neot’s is of the fifteenth century and was glazed towards the end of that century and during the first half of the sixteenth. There are fifteen windows with remains of ancient glass and unusually this had survived fairly intact, when in 1825 Hedgeland was employed to carry out repairs. Although not done to exacting standards the work was at least carried out a sympathetic manner, well above the those expected of the early nineteenth century. Hedgeland (1791-1873), a London architect turned stained glass artist, brought out this sumptuously illustrated publication on the windows and the history of the church soon after the he had completed his repairs. Of the windows four are narrative, the oldest, the Creation window, is the only one with five lights. It has pictures in three rows. The Noah window is next to it with two rows of three pictures. The other two depict the legends of St. George and St. Neot in twelve scenes each with the remaining windows are of single figures under canopies.
See P. M. Bourke The Treatment of Myth and Legend in the Windows of St. Neot’s, Cornwall in Folklore, Vol. 97, No. 1 (1986), pp. 63-69 for a full history of thes important windows; OCLC records copies at the V&A, Oxford and Corp. of London Library in the UK, and in the US at California, Michigan, Columbia University and Rakow Library.
Author HEDGELAND, John Pike and Davies GILBERT.
Binding uncut in modern two tone cloth, spine lettered in gilt.
Publisher London: Printed for J.P. Hedgeland, 16 Claremont Place, Brunswick Square.
Condition FIRST EDITION. 4to, pp. [iv], 67  imprint; 16 hand coloured engraved plates;