TRINITY HOUSE.

THE ROYAL CHARTER OF CONFIRMATION. Granted by His Most Excellent Majesty King James II to the Trinity-House of Deptford Strond; for the Government and Increase of the Navigation of England, and the relief of poor Mariners, their Widows, and Orphans,

Published: London, printed in the year, 1763. 1763.

Date: 1763

FOURTH EDITION. 8vo. (7.3 x 4.7 inches). iv, 178pp, 1 page "A list of the thirty one elder brethren appointed by the charter of King James the Second". Index is leaf iii/iv after the title page. Some offsetting to the edges, from the glue used in the turn ins of the inner boards, of the blank free endpapers and the first and last text pages (in this case the title page and the list of elder Brethren), otherwise a clean tight copy in a contemporary binding of full panelled brown calf. Both boards with lighter tan central panel with decorative gilt loop border and diagonal cross design. Decorative gilt border around the edge. Central circular red morocco onlay with the Trinity House arms stamped in gilt. Spine with raised bands. Compartments ruled and decorated in gilt. Red title label, gilt. Neat six line note relating to Trinity House written on the front paste down. Some rubbing to the binding but still firm and attractive. Previous owners name, George Gooch 1818, written in ink on the title page. Gooch was an Elder Brethren of Trinity House, although after this book was published.

£375

Offered by Paul Foster