LAWRENCE, David Herbert (1885-1930)


Published: London :privately printed for subscribers only by The Mandrake Press,

Date: 1929

No. 141 of a Limited Edition of 510 copies on Arches mouldmade paper. Folio (37cm); (39) pp., 26 coloured plates, each of which is preceded by a separate leaf with title, description and dimensions of the original painting. Original green cloth boards rebound with half morocco binding in dark brown, spine lettered in gold with a gilt phoenix stamped in upper and lower boards. Tips of corners a trifle rubbed. Top edges trimmed and gilt. Fore and bottom edges untrimmed. A near-Fine copy.

Loosely inserted is two pages typed letter from the owners of the Warren Gallery, Maddox Street, London, dated August 31 1929, in which they enclose a “form for signature” in support of a protest against the destruction by police of some of the paintings by DH Lawrence on display at the exhibition. The letter is signed in green ink by Dorothy Trotter and Philip Trotter. Because of the erotic nature of many of the paintings on show, police arrived at the gallery on 5 July to close the exhibition down, but not before it had been seen by close on 12,000 curious visitors. According to the Daily Telegraph “paintings of so gross and obscene character” had never bee shown in public in London before.


Offered by Worlds End Bookshop