Railway (1836)

Henry Belcher

Illustrations of the Scenery on the Line of the Whitby and Pickering Railway, in the North Eastern Part of Yorkshire from drawings by G. Dodgson with a short description of the District and Undertaking.

Published: Longman, Rees, Orme, Green, and Longman; London

Date: 1836

engraved title page (Whitby Abbey North Aisle) and twelve engraved plates plus vignettes in text; errata slip present at rear end; green cloth covers (now in archive acetate film protection) with blind-stamped borders (outer: double line, inner: Greek key design) front & rear; appendices include: A True Account of the Murder of the Monk of Whitby; A list of some of the plants found in the district of the railway; & The account of the opening of the railway. The Whitby and Pickering Railway (W&P) was built to halt the gradual decline of the port of Whitby on the east coast of England. Its basic industries, whaling and shipbuilding, had been in decline and it was believed that opening transport links inland would help regenerate the town and port. Until the turnpike to Pickering was opened in 1759, Whitby was better connected to the rest of the country by sea than by land; even then the difficult climb over the high moors was an obstacle. Stage coach services did not start until 1795 and Mail Coaches (thrice weekly) until 1823. The Whitby and Pickering Railway opened in stages in 1836 (one of the earliest railways in Yorkshire) and was worked by a horses until it was absorbed into the York and North Midland Railway in 1845 and was converted into a conventional double tracked steam-worked railway.

Illustrated
engraved plates

Condition
good

Binding
Hardcover (Original Green Cloth)

£130

Offered by Bookbarrow